History of Liberty Township
Shelby County, Indiana
Liberty Twp, Shelby Co, IN: Township 12 North - Range 7, 8 East
per Plat Directory distributed by the Purdue University Cooperative Extension Service, 1997.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~Liberty Township is bounded on the north by Hanover Township, on the east by Rush County; on the south by Noble Townshp and on the west by Addison Township. It is four miles in extent from east and west, and six miles from north to south. It has rare natural advantages, and as early as 1829 more than one-half the land was taken up, and by 1835 it was all entered. Any one passing through this part of the county cannot fail to notice the general air of prosperity, thrift and improvement in every direction. There is a valuable German element in the western part of the township, that has done much for the development of the country. Conn's Creek and Buck Creek are the principal streams. The soil is above the average of the county, sufficiently rolling for advantageous cultivation, rich and productive. The earliest settlers of this part of Shelby County were
Dr. John Haymond
Louis, Henry and Marcus Misener
Kemble E. Midkiff
Rev. Henry Fisher
Rev. Thomas Jones
Jacob, Michael, Thomas and Jesse Youngman
Ira L. Bartley
William McNeilly [McNeely -jb]
Abraham, Leonard, Micager and Bennett Powell
Aaron Momack [Womack -jb]
St. Clair Ensminger
There are six churches in the township three Methodist
Episcopal, one Universalist, one Christian and one Catholic. Of the seven school-buildings, five are brick houses of considerable architectural taste, and with every modern convenience. Cynthiana, Middletown and Waldron are the towns. Cynthiana was founded by the Youngman brothers and Thomas Spurgeon, August 19, 1835. Here Blue Ridge Post Office is located. The town is situated upon a commanding eminence and has a store, a Methodist Episcopal Church, and a steam saw and grist mill. Thomas Spurgeon started the first nursery in the county at this point, which was the means of introducing a large number of good orchards. Middletown is an old place, having been founded June 19, 1829, by Thomas Hayman.
The first merchant here was David Leggett, now a banker in Greensburg, Ind. Joseph Cummins for a long time kept a tavern here. Middletown now has one church, two dry-goods stores, two groceries, one drug store and a blacksmith-shop. Waldron is quite a pretty place on the Indianapolis, Cincinnati & Louisville Railroad. Its former name was Stroupville, and it was founded March 27, 1854. Conn's Creek Post Office is located here. It has a railroad station, a Methodist Episcopal Church, a Universalist Church, three dry-goods stores, two drug stores, one grocery, two tin and stove stores one wagon-shop, and David Grubbs carries on a considerable grain trade. One of the best temperance organizations in the county is located here.
There are some very fine farms in Liberty, with substantial houses and commodious barns. The following may be named as instances:
J. J. Curtiss
The late Samuel Love was one of the first Justices
of the Peace in Liberty, and is affectionately remembered as a man of sterling integrity and moral worth. Among
citizens of this township who have risen to eminence are Messrs. J. J. Curtis, J. M. Brown and George Brown, who were elected to the Legislature. Mr. Curtis also served as County Commissioner. Benjamin F. Love, a son of Squire Samuel Love, has attained a conspicuous position in the legal profession. ~ ~
From the Atlas of Shelby Co., Indiana, Chicago: J.H. Beers & Co, 1880, page 14.
Copied by Phyllis Miller Fleming