The Separate Baptists is a branch of the Baptist denomination, holding some special and rather peculiar notions on certain points, hence many years ago formed themselves into a society of their own and are known as the Pleasant View church, located in Jackson township. Meetings were held at school-houses until the old Lutheran church, which stood two miles south of Mt. Auburn, was puchased in 1868 and moved to its present place. Rev. Martin Layman was the organizer of this branch of the Baptist church. Prominent among the members were
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Chadwick's History of Shelby Co., Ind. 161
Abner Connor and Wife,
Joel D. Scott and wife,
John Layman and wife,
John Shauer and wife and
T. French and wife.
In 1887 this church numbered sixty-four communicants. This society with kindred branches are still in existence in Jackson township and perhaps no where else in this county.
Chadwick's History of Shelby County, Indiana, by Edward H. Chadwick, B.A., assisted by
well known local talent, B.F. Bowen & Co, Publishers: Indianapolis, IN, 1909, page 161.
[Chadwick's discussion of the Baptist denomination moves to the New Lights
Submitted by Marita Bolson
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Separate Baptists. ---- The only organization of this division of the Baptist Church, is that known as Pleasant View in the Scott neighborhood, Jackson Township. Meetings were held in the school-house until the old Lutheran, which stood two miles south of Mt. Auburn was purchased in 1868, and removed to its present location. Rev. Martin Layman was probably the organizer of this church, but did not remain long in charge; he was succeeded by Benjamin Stoughton. Othe pastors were: Benjamin Whittington and Joseph McQueen. Prominent among the members were: Abner Conner and wife, Joel D. Scott and wife, John Layman and wife, Sarah Davis, John Shauer and wife, and T. French and wife. The church has a membership of sixty-two and is in a fairly good condition.
[The next paragraph is about New Lights-pmf]
History of Shelby County, Indiana, Brant & Fuller, 1887, page 399.
Copied by Phyllis Miller Fleming